- 6 large Granny Smith apples
- 1 t. pure organic vanilla extract
- Juice and grated peel of one organic lemon
- Grated peel of one organic orange (optional)
- 3/4 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1 stick (1/2 c.) unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sliced almonds
- 1/4 t. salt
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Peel, core and thinly slice the apples. As you do, toss them in a 3-quart baking dish with the lemon juice, the grated citrus peels and the vanilla.
2. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, almonds, cinnamon and salt in a separate bowl. Melt the butter over low heat and stir into the topping. Spoon the mixture over the fruit.
3. Bake 40-45 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and browned. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or real whipped cream. Do not refrigerate. Serves 8.