Mom used Bibb lettuce for this recipe, fresh from her garden. Unlike the other produce she raised, lettuce was never sold in the fruit stand, but kept for use in this delicious family recipe.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 c. sliced green onion
- 1/4 c. vinegar
- 1/4 c. water
- 4 t. sugar (I use 2 packets of Stevia)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 8 cups fresh leaf lettuce, torn in bite-sized pieces
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
In skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, drain (reserving grease in skillet) and crumble. Add onion to drippings in skillet; cook on low until onion is tender, about three minutes. Add vinegar, salt, sugar, water and bacon. Cook and stir until boiling. Place lettuce in large serving bowl; pour hot dressing over lettuce; toss until well-coated. Garnish with radish slices and chopped eggs. Eat immediately. Serves 6.