Makes 4 servings, with leftovers
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, or to taste (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained (divided)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped red, yellow or orange peppers, or a combination
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (white and green parts)
- 2 cups salad greens (optional)
To make dressing: In a small bowl whisk together lime zest, lime juice, salt and cumin. Add oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly. Set aside.
To make salad: Bring the water and broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the quinoa and salt. Simmer for about 15 minutes until grains are just tender and the germ has begun to separate from the grain. Add the corn and continue cooking another 5 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl toss 2 cups of the beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate the remaining beans from the can (about 3/4 cup) for the next meal.
Add the bell peppers, jalapeno, cilantro and green onions; toss well.
Reserve 1 cup of the quinoa-corn mixture for the next meal. Stir the rest into the bean mixture. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Salad may be made one day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. To serve, divide salad greens between 4 plates. Remove 1 cup of the salad mixture and reserve for the next meal. Divide the remaining salad among the plates and serve.