This dessert was served at Nick and Molly Slavik’s rehearsal luau dinner as prepared by Vikki Slavik. It’s completely worth the effort for a special occasion.
- 1 package Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 pkgs (3/4 oz each) Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 4 cups Cold Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Coconut extract
- 8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 20 oz Canned Crushed Pineapple (well drained)
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, whipped
- 2 cups Flaked Coconut, toasted (toast in oven, watch as they toast very quickly)
Preheat oven to 350. Mix cake batter according to directions. Pour batter into two 13 x 9 baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until cake tests done (a toothpick inserted comes out
clean). Cool cake.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pudding mixes and cold milk. Add coconut extract. Beat 2 minutes. Add cream cheese and beat well. Stir in drained pinapple. Spread mixture over the cooled cakes. Top with Whipped Cream. Sprinkle dessert with toasted coconut.
May be frozen.
When I went to the University of Hawaii I took Mom and Grandpa and Grandma Flanders to a luau and had something very similar to this. Also, Uncle Tony took all of us to his favorite resturant and we had their famous coconut cream pie. Wow, one piece was enough for all of us. Uncle Tony was very special just like his sister, Edna, our Mom. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe. I’m definitely going to try this one. Judi Honore’