Yield: 4 Servings
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 (14 ounce) cans of hunt’s fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock for vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup half and half (skip this if you want)
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper (maybe a bit less)
- 10-20 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat, pour in the olive oil and saute onion until translucent. Add the chopped garlic (except for 1 clove) and sauté with the onion for 2 minutes.
Next, add the cans of fire roasted tomatoes (including the juice) to the pan and cover for about 15 minutes, stirring as needed. Add the chicken stock and half & half and bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered, for 10 minutes or until it has thickened.
Add the remaining chopped garlic clove, crushed red pepper, fresh basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Lower your heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes more.
Using an immersion blender (or carefully transfer soup to a blender), puree soup until there are no large chunks of tomato left. Serve immediately with a hunk of warm french bread and get to dipping!
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Info per 1 serving: 204 calories. 10.7 fat. 22.5 carb. 6 fiber. 4 protein.